House update: Don't trust your laminate flooring

Hello everyone,

I am just giving you a quick update on the house. I decided to rip up ALL the flooring and inspect the lament hard wood that was so nicely placed on the first screenshot.  

As you can see in the first pic, it really felt like I was destroying something beautiful when I was ripping this floor up. The good news is that the sub floor (3rd pic) only had a small portion of mold that could be saved via remediation. So what's next? Now that I have had the mold removed I am going to wait a few days and get an air quality inspection just to be safe. If everything checks out, I will then begin plans to lay down a new thing called LVT (luxury vinyl tile).  This material feels and looks just like wood floor, but it's made out of hard shelled rubbery vinyl instead of wood. That means no MOLD because this is not made out of wood!

There is still the area you see in the 3rd pic. That is called sub-floor. That is thick wood material. So long as I keep that surface dry I will be fine. Moreover, so long as I keep the crawlspace dry, the lower half of that sub-floor will be safe from mold. Just so you know, the air you breathe is made up of about 40% of the air in your basement/crawlspace. So, if you have a crawlspace or basement, get it inspected.

Before
757 S Cypress, Greenwood, IN 46143

That black stuff you see is mold!



What the floor looks like now.


I would have never known there was mold unless I pulled this puppy up .


LVT. Doesn't this look like real wood? It's great! 




Footnote: If you would like to learn more about buying repossessed homes, see my first post here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gifts that save your bank account and the environment

Self Study: Can I really save money being a one car family?