House Update: Inspect your crawlspace often!

Hello everyone, 

Just a quick update here. I don't think we talk about the importance of a dry crawlspace enough these days. Specifically, how often should one go down there and give an inspection? The whole crawlspace as a thing is a new concept for me to worry about and if this thing gets wet and then ignored, you are going to have mold! This mold will then grow and end up on your wooden sub floor in your house and get everyone sick.  Not to mention that a good portion of the air you breathe is from the crawlspace. So you don't want bad air quality down there. In the picture below, my brother and I were doing a random inspection of the sub pump and we noticed the water to the left in the pic. The culprit was right in front of us, but we didn't spot that punk until it started spewing water everywhere. A few weeks ago, I had a remediation team down there removing mold so I am assuming that this pipe got bumped but I honestly don't know how this happened. So every time you have anyone down there doing work, do an inspection after they are done just to be safe.





 Gutters

Make sure your gutter pipes are pointed away from your crawlspace. If you find that your gutters are just throwing water at the base of your home's foundation, that water is likely to end up in your crawlspace. Re-route the water away from your home with gutter pipe extenders shown below. 




I hope you found this post helpful. If you would like to learn more about my experiences in Real Estate investing, click here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gifts that save your bank account and the environment

Self Study: Can I really save money being a one car family?